on the subway

I like drawing on the subway. The ride is smooth on the Toronto Transit Commission underground. The buses are almost impossible to sketch on. The drivers tear around the city like they're possessed, old people get trashed on the violent stops and starts. It's really brutal.
The seats are decent on the subway and the Torontonions public is generally oblivious to or accommodating of all my attention. Of course I've gotten pretty good at dealing with the tension that can develop when people notice what I'm up to and not liking it. I have 3 or 4 subjects going at the same time, so if I get a hairy eyeball I just switch it up.
If someone is outright hostile, I'll offer to tear out the work and give it to them. This works every time and almost no one ever demands I go through with ripping up my book.
This old lady was really cute. She fussed with her collar and stared at me oddly for about 8 stops. She was so pretty. I wondered what she looked like without her clothes. Once in art class we had a 70 year old model. Her body was beautiful and firm. Just such a surprise when she disrobed. We were all stunned. But the old guy we had 3 weeks later was a wreck.